Baby Carrier Buying Guide
There are a variety of equipment parents can use if they want to bring the baby outside for a stroll or family gathering. They can choose among different options like a stroller, car seat, and a baby carrier. Each of them has different features and functions that affect the decision of parents on what to purchase for the child.
Strollers are perfect for travelling especially if the baby is too heavy to be carried. It has plenty of compartments that can be used for baby stuff such as diaper bags, feeding bottles, and other items. One downside of strollers is their bulkiness, which can be a hassle for smaller cars or for those parents who do not have a car yet.
Car seats are comfortable for the baby since it can be adjusted depending on the baby’s activity. Using car seats outside the car is not recommended because unlike strollers, it does not have wheels and the only way to move it is to carry the whole seat all the way.
Baby carriers allow mother to cuddle their child against the body which is actually a big help in preventing post-partum depression. Baby carriers are very convenient for most mothers because they can move easily, plus they can also use their hands for other tasks to do. Though baby carriers can only be used during the first months of the baby, it is still preferred by many consumers.
Types of Baby Carriers
There are different types of baby carriers. They vary according to its design and how it should be worn.
- Front carrier – this is the type wherein two shoulder straps are needed to support the weight of the baby. A fabric seat that is stuffed with cushion is being used to give comfort to the baby while sitting on it. The recommended seating position for babies under 5 months is facing the mother while resting on its chest. Once the baby finally learned how to sit up and control the head, it is time to reverse the position facing outward so that he can enjoy the view.
- Wrap carrier – this is commonly used for infants who are still breastfeeding. It is actually a wide piece of cloth that should be worn around the body over both shoulders. A lot of mother found it versatile because it can be tied in different ways. One thing about wrap carrier is that once the baby gets heavier, it is not that comfortable for both baby and mother to use anymore.
- Sling carrier – just like the wrap carrier, it is also a large piece of fabric but the difference is that it should be worn across the torso over one shoulder. It looks very simple and in order to have it adjusted, the only thing to do is to tighten up the strap. There are two available styles for a sling baby carrier. The first one comes with a pad and the other one is unpadded.
Tips on Buying the Best Baby Carrier
Since there are three types of baby carrier, choosing which one to purchase may be tricky for some parents. Here are some helpful tips that can be used in searching for the best baby carriersin the market:
- Check which type of carrier is comfortable for both the baby and the parent. If there is a way to try out all the types, the better. To determine if it is comfortable to use, place the baby in the actual carrier and check if it will allow the baby to move freely without any hassle. For the parent’s part, it should not be too heavy to make sure that it can last for a long duration of carrying time.
- The versatility is also important in choosing the best baby carrier. If the baby is too young, sling and wrap is recommended because infants and newborn babies are more likely to have soft backbones. It will also come in handy if the baby is still breastfeeding. For babies with ages 6 months and up, front carriers are recommended giving them a chance to see the beauty of the world.
- The material used does matter for some parents. If the carrier is expected to be used in a long period of time, might as well choose the padded ones. Well-padded carriers can save shoulders, back, and neck from strains caused by long hours of carrying. On the baby’s side, leg and arm holes should also be padded to avoid rashes from occurring.
- Buckles and straps are responsible for securing the baby while being carried. Check the sturdiness of the buckles and look for possible slips and malfunctions.
- Small pockets in baby carriers will come handy for bringing feeding bottles or baby towels.
- A good baby carrier should not be that complicated to use. There are some carriers that have a lot of buckles which is a part of safety precautions but they are actually confusing for some.
The Normal Cost of a Baby Carrier
Unlike any other product being sold in the market, branded baby carriers are highly recommended than the cheaper ones. Keep in mind that the quality of the material used in making the carrier is very important because it has to be sturdy and is able to support the weight of the baby to avoid accidents from happening. Do not risk the baby’s safety for a cheap carrier. Always think of the worse case that may happen.
Another advantage of branded baby carriers is that they can last for a long period of time. Baby carriers are not easily damaged and if proper maintenance is being observed, there is a possibility that it can be used by the next generation babies. To ensure its good condition, keep the original box of the carrier (if there’s any) and use it as storage after using it for months.
With the help of baby carriers, travelling with babies are now possible without any hassle of bringing a car or a stroller. Because of the convenience and comfort it provides for both babies and parents, a lot of people prefer using them compared to other baby equipment like strollers and car seats.