Baby Bottle Reviews
Comparing side by side, we researched which baby bottles really had what mattered. We reviewed nipple sizes and shapes, leakage, ease of cleaning comfort, ease of use, size, eco-health and other features such as vents and value to avoid colic. After reviewing many baby bottles of all shapes and sizes, we narrowed down the top 3 bottles and have highlighted them here for you.
Baby Bottle Buying Guide
Introducing feeding bottles to a breastfed baby may be a hard task to do for some mothers. Because the babies are used in sucking soft and natural nipples, there is a big possibility that they will get confused with artificial nipples being used in a baby bottle. Though there are several bottles and nipples specially designed for babies who are having a hard time practicing bottle feeding, looking for the one that will actually work for the baby is the tricky part.
Types of Baby Bottle Nipples
Feeding bottles being sold in the market usually come with nipples. Though some parents directly use it, others prefer buying another set to make sure that the baby is comfortable with it. There are two types of nipples: silicone or latex.
- Latex – This known to be soft and more flexible. It is designed to resemble the natural nipples of a mother, thereby allowing the baby to easily transition from breastfeeding to bottle-feeding.Feeding bottles made of this material are usually golden brown in color.
- Silicone – This is the clear one. It is more firm and is more likely to hold its shape for a longer period. Silicone nipples are less porous and less prone to bacteria compared to latex nipples.The type of nipple used with the feeding bottle does not really matter as long as it is in a good condition. Regular checking for cracks and possible deteriorations should be done because if not, the flow of the liquid will possibly choke the baby.
Types of Baby Bottles
Before, there is only one type of baby bottle: the glass bottle. Since it is made up of pure glass, most consumers complain of its heavy weight. This often gives the baby a hard time feeding himself alone.
Today, there are a lot of options we can choose from. The plastic feeding bottles were introduced, which also comes with different selections. Though plastic bottles make it easier for mothers to feed their baby, there are some issues that affect the flexibility of the said product.
Bisphenol-A or BPA is a chemical substance present in many products such as plastic bottles. The BPA substance level gets higher once the bottle starts to have breakage and cracks. Asthma, impaired learning and memory development, and reduced brain function are just some of its health effects for babies.
To avoid BPA health effects, do not use second-hand bottles because they are more likely to have damages. Feeding bottles are not that expensive so might as well purchase a new one instead for the safety of the baby.
Feeding Bottle Side Effects
There are some babies who directly refuse using feeding bottles because of its side effects.
- This happens when too much air is being swallowed due to incorrect feeding technique. If the baby’s position is not elevated, the higher amount of gas can possibly be taken.
- This is basically an episode of crying that lasts for more than 3 hours a day. Though the cause of colic is still unknown, experts claim that improper bottle feeding is one of them.
- This is the result when a liquid trapped with air inside the bottle has been taken by the baby. Special feeding bottles are designed in preventing these feeding problems from happening. These special bottles have the ability to vent air more effectively and lessen the trapped gas inside the container.
Helpful Tips on Buying Baby Bottles
Now that different types of bottles and nipples were already discussed, it is time to hunt for the best one in the market. Here are some tips that may be helpful for baby bottle shopping:
Don’t be overwhelmed on buying too many feeding bottles for a newborn baby. Breastfeeding will be done in the first months and it is hard to determine whether the baby will get the hang of using a specific type of baby bottle. This will only result to waste if the baby will not use the bottle even once.
The process of choosing the better option between glass and plastic bottle always depends on the buyer’s preference. If there is too much concern regarding BPA, might as well go with glass bottles. Though it is a bit heavy for the baby to handle by himself, glass bottles are easier to maintain and last for a long time.
Brand shopping has always been a common misconception for shoppers. They think that the more expensive a product is the more trusted it can be. Always keep in mind that regardless of how a bottle may cost, it does not mean it is of high quality. Try to read consumer reviews to get an idea of the best baby products available in the market.
The size of the bottle is also important in buying feeding bottles. If it will be used by an infant, choose the smaller ones that can hold at least 4oz of liquid because infants are expected to consume a little amount of milk in just one seating.
Colorful and printed feeding bottles always look adorable to the baby’s eyes. Giving babies a good feeding experience will make the process of using feeding bottles more enjoyable for them.
Liquid measurements are very important especially if formula milk will be used. Choose the ones with bold prints to prevent wrong measurements in milk preparation.
There are some bottles that have irregular shapes. These are designed to make bottle handling easier for the baby.
When it comes to nipples, choose between slow flow and fast flow. There are some babies who suck hard and they are the ones who should use the fast flow nipples. But if the baby enjoys slow drinking, choose the slow flow nipples.
In buying feeding bottles for babies, note that the choice will always be dependent on which material suits the needs of your baby. The best thing to do to avoid wasting money in shopping for the wrong feeding bottle is to make a habit of observing how the baby drinks the milk. If the baby is breastfed, it will be easier for the mother to get an idea on what to buy. If not, trial and error is the only choice.