Electric Grill Reviews
Electric grills are very popular in apartment living and places where open flames are not allowed. You are able to get the great taste of grilled food without the flames or smoke. This means you can grill even on patios and balconies, where grilling is normally prohibited. We have researched electric grills and narrowed down the list. This means you can spend your time enjoying your new grill rather than spending hours scouring the internet trying to determine which electric grill to purchase.
Electric Grill Buying Guide
How To Choose The Best Electric Grills
Grilling has become more convenient when electric grills were finally invented. An electric grill allows you to enjoy the taste of outdoor meals without the need to cook outside. With this excellent cooking machine, you can continue grilling even if it’s snowing. Moreover, you can have an amazing indoor grilling experience if you know the right type of grill to look for.
Different Electric Grill Models
The first thing that you need to consider is the type of foods that you intend to grill. Below are different electric grill models along with their description that can help you determine the right grill that you should look for.
1. Panini Grill
This grill is created for grilling sandwiches. The cooking grates of Panini grills are either slightly ribbed or flat. Like some other grills, these can cook both sides of the food. Modern Panini grills are now designed to grill steaks and burgers. They are smaller than other electric grills and are perfect for small gatherings and personal use.
2. Clamshell-Style Grill
The clamshell style is a popular design presented by Foreman grill. The ridges of this grill are raised in order to whisk off fats for healthier cooking. The cooking surface is slanted to allow juices and fats to slide directly down to the drip tray. The top and bottom grills produce heat to cook foods faster. These grills come in three sizes: small (good for 2 people), medium (good for 4 people) and large (good for 8 people).
3. Outdoor/Indoor Grill
The outdoor-indoor grill resembles charcoal grills. This is the type of electric grill that can be used in both indoor and outdoor cooking. This is the best choice for people who like to grill outside while enjoying the ease of electric grill.
4. Electric Grills with Interchangeable Plates
This model is similar to the clamshell style. It comes with raised ridged plates, griddle plate and cooking plates for vegetables, waffles, baking, paninis. Other types of plates are also included in different brands. This is the best model to choose if you want to enjoy a variety of cooking experiences.
5. Open Flat Surface
The latest models of electric grills have lids that can be opened into flat surface to provide more cooking space. This can help you save more time in cooking when you intend to cook pancakes and eggs simultaneously. The tightly spaced ridges can prevent the food from falling to the drip tray.
6. Single Cooking Surface
This model is similar to charcoal grills and is great to use for grilling fish and meat. You’ll get better cooking results with single cooking surface than the contact model.
7. Dual Heating Surface
This model allows you to cook your food on both sides without the need to turn it over. This great feature can save half of your time.
Different Electric Grill Models
Different electric grill models have varying special features. Below is a list of electric grill’s special features that you must consider to check before making your choice.
- Floating Hinge
Electric grills that are designed with floating hinge can evenly grill thin or thick food because the flexible hinge can ‘float’ above the food. The floating hinges can accommodate up to 2 inches of food’s thickness.
- Temperature Control
Electric grills allow you to control the temperature with ease. You can adjust the temperature easily to provide the exact temperature that your food needs. The best grills have touch-button controls and LCD readout.
- Locking latch
The locking latch feature allows you to secure the cover of grill when it is closed. This is useful when there are kids around while you are grilling. It will prevent them from getting burned and from other accidents. The latch also allows you to store the grill upside down.
- Nonstick Grates and Plates
One of the best things about nonstick plates and grates is that you no longer need to scratch off fats and grease. The nonstick feature can also help promote healthy cooking because you don’t need to use excessive oil to cook your foods.
- Dishwasher Safe
Using electric grills won’t save you from cleaning. But fortunately, they are all designed with removable grates and plates that you can simply pop into your dishwasher after use.
Additional Buying Tips for Electric Grills
- Choose the grill that comes with at least 1,000 to 1,500 watts. Grills with lesser watts won’t provide enough heat.
- Check the cooking area. The sizes of electric grills’ cooking area ranges from 35 square inches to more than 300 square inches. You may find the best size for you by deciding the amount of cooking that you intend to do.
- Consider your storage space. Some grills are portable and light. You can simply hang them or store them inside a kitchen cabinet when not in use. Smaller grills can save enough space while bigger ones may require a special storage spot.
- Check the floating hinges. See if they can be adjusted to the thickness of food that you are planning to cook.
- If you are careful with your diet, you should also pay a close attention to the grill’s drip pans. Drip pan is designed to collect fats. Look for drip pans that are deep and sturdy. They must be able to stay in place while the cooking takes place and keep the fat away from the hot surface. There are models that are designed with second drip pan, which is useful when you are cooking steaks and burgers.
Drip pans are also useful to prevent smoke when cooking indoors. Just add water to the drip pan so the falling fats will cool down instantly.
- Some electric grills come with bun warmers that allow you to warm your bread while cooking your burger. This is a nice additional feature, but you won’t really need it if you already have an oven toaster at home.
- Don’t forget to check the electric cord. Make sure that it is long enough to reach the electric socket otherwise you will need to buy an extra extension cord.
- The most important thing that must be considered is the quality of the product. Keep in mind that you will only get a decent cooking experience if the grill is made of quality materials.