Yes, patchouli does repel mosquitoes. In fact, it is often used in natural mosquito repellents; most often in combination with other essential oils.
Pogostemon cablin (patchouli) Patchouli contains compounds that are known to be effective in repelling mosquitoes.
While patchouli is effective in repelling mosquitoes, it is important to note that patchouli and most other natural oils are most effective when they are undiluted.
A study in 2005 revealed that the undiluted oils of Pgostemon cablin (patchuli) were the most effective and provided two hours of complete repellency. (1)
If you’re looking for a natural way to keep mosquitoes away, try using patchouli oil. It’s an effective mosquito repellent and to some, it has a pleasant, earthy scent.
Additional Ways to Repel Mosquitoes With Patchouli
- Add a few drops of patchouli oil to a diffuser and diffuse it in your home or office.
- Add patchouli oil to a spray bottle filled with water and use it as a mosquito repellent spray.
- Dilute patchouli oil with a carrier oil and apply it to your skin.
- Make a mosquito repellent candle by adding a few drops of patchouli oil to melted beeswax.
- Add patchouli oil to lotion or body cream and apply it to your skin.
Warning Against Undiluted Patchouli Oil
While patchouli oil may not cause irritation or an allergic reaction when applied to the skin. Users should be cautious when applying the initial application just in case a reaction occurs.
Precaution should be considered as patchouli oil can affect blood clotting:
- If the user has recently had or will undergo a major surgey.
- If the individual is taking blood-thining medication or OTC meds that thin the blood.
- Individuals with a known bleeding disorder, like hemophilia.
Easy Homemade mosquito repellent with patchouli
While keeping the aforementioned results of the efficacy of undiluted oils and diluted patchouli in mind, we have found a homemade repellent with patchouli oil.
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1/4 cup of witch hazel
- 10 drops of patchouli essential oil
- Combine the water and witch hazel in a small spray bottle.
- Add the essential oil and shake well.
- Spray the mixture on your skin whenever you need it.
- You can also use this mosquito repellent indoors to keep mosquitoes away from your home. Just spray it around the perimeter of the room.
- This mosquito repellent will last for several months if stored in a cool, dark place.
You can experiment with different oils to see which ones work best for you. Just remember to always use a carrier oil when applying essential oils to your skin. Never apply them undiluted, as they can cause skin irritation.
What bugs will keep patchouli away?
If you’re looking for a natural way to keep mosquitoes away, it is worth a try using patchouli oil. You can also use it to keep other bugs away. As stated above remember to always dilute the essential oils before applying them to your skin.
Patchouli is known to effectively repel mosquitoes, ants, and flies. So if you’re looking for a natural way to keep these pests away, try using patchouli oil.
While patchouli is a bug repellent. It is in fact often used in tandem with other essential oils in natural mosquito repellents.
Patchouli Oil as a Mosquito Repellent Conclusion
To sum it up, yes patchouli oil can be used as a mosquito repellent. It is most effective in repelling mosquitoes and other bugs while used in tandem with other essential oils. It is important to remember that when using essential oils on your skin, always remember to dilute them with a carrier oil. This will help to avoid any skin irritation.